Criminal Law FAQs

At WLO, your initial consultation is free.
That depends on what you hire us for. There are three types of fees. Hourly (for family law cases and civil litigation); Contingency (for personal injury cases); and Flat fee (for criminal and immigration cases). At WLO, we take your specific circumstances into consideration when quoting you a fee.
At WLO, although flat fees are paid up front, we may allow you to make payments according to your specific needs and circumstances.
At WLO, we accept all major credit cards.
Technically no. We can meet with the person in jail and make an argument for your release at the initial appearance (or later if there is a change in circumstances) or to have bail set at a reasonable amount. Once bail is set, you will need to either post cash with the court (if ordered and would be refunded at the end of the case) or obtain a bail bondsman to post a bond for you (bail bond companies typically require collateral and charge a non-refundable fee of 10% of the amount of bail they post for you).
At WLO, we fight for our clients and do everything we can to minimize the detrimental consequences. We would love to tell you that hiring us would mean you wouldn’t have to go to jail, but that’s a promise we cannot ethically make. But we do promise to fight for your rights…and that’s a promise we will keep!
As a defendant in jail, you have a constitutional right to a speedy trial (the time depends on the type of crime you are charged with). Other considerations may apply as well, such as evidence being tested and investigations being completed. However, at WLO, we will do our best to ensure that your time in jail is kept at a minimum and that your case is concluded as quickly as possible (only if it is favorable to you).
Seizure’s/Forfeitures can be contested. There is a certain procedure (and time lines) to contest a forfeiture which may require payment of court filing fees (approximately $325). Oftentimes, forfeiture matters are tied to criminal charges. The outcome of the criminal charges would likely have an impact on any forfeiture proceedings. So obtain an attorney as quickly as possible to discuss your rights and options.

Family Law FAQs

The first step is to have paternity established and then file a motion for custody and parenting time. There is a presumption that a non-custodial parent is entitled to 35% of parenting time. The court will use the best interest of the child factors to decide custody and parenting time.
Well, if paternity has not been established, you can request genetic testing to determine if you are the father of the child. If you are not the father, then child support may be ordered to stop being collected.
If there is no child support Order in effect, we will have to determine you and the other parent’s income (gross monthly income, not net income), expenses for childcare and medical insurance, and the amount of Court Ordered parenting time and calculate child support according to the Minnesota Child Support Guidelines.
Possibly yes. Under Minnesota law, child support may be modified in certain situations, one being a substantial reduction (or increase) in income, a change of circumstances, more parenting time, or an increase or decrease in expenses for the child(ren).
You can file a motion for contempt and compel your former spouse to come to court and explain why they are not complying with the court order. The judge could allow them to fix the contempt and comply or order the non-complying party to jail (in extreme circumstances).
Well, there are numerous options that may be available. They options depend on how long ago the OFP was issued. You may be able to demand a hearing (the request has to be made within the time indicated on the OFP) or file a motion for relief from the OFP (depending on the circumstances).